News

iOS13 adds support for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One S controllers

Jan
last month

iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS gain DualShock 4 and Xbox One S (the regular xbox one controller does not have a bluetooth chip) controller support this fall. According to Apple's official document describing the features added with iOS 13 support for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One S controllers will be added in the coming update.

The same is true for tvOS, which will receive support for Playstation 4 and Xbox One S controllers as well.

This means that the announced streaming/link apps like Steam Link, PlayStation Now, Remote Play, and xCloud will be compatible with these controllers.

It seems like the controllers will be integrated in the MFi controller API, that means that all games that support MFi controllers now will support the Playstation 4 and Xbox One S controllers as well. No patching from game devs needed. (Apart from maybe adding additional controls for the clickable thumb sticks aka. R3 and L3)

15 Comments
Discussion

Got a question, feedback or recommendation?
Avg. response time: 20 - 30 minutes

@mi9cr9
Yesterday
hi, thanks for the great website
I want to ask if anybody managed to get L3 and R3 buttons to work, also is fortnite crashing for everyone on beta or its just my old iPad?

@WorKev
3 weeks ago
What would people say is the best controller to use PS4 or Xbox One?
@kanni staff
3 weeks ago
I'd say it comes down to personal preference. Both are high quality controllers. Go into a store, test both and see what feels better in your hands :)
@WorKev
3 weeks ago
The PS4 controller is better imo
@kanni staff
2 weeks ago
Personally, i prefer the xbox one :D what do you like better subout the ps4 one?

@koffeekushd
4 weeks ago
Hi. I just discovered this website.

I got into the Ipad iOS beta on my Ipad 5gen. I feel like i’ve just bought a console now that I can use my ps4 controller. It’s kind of mind blowing. Nintendo needs to look out.
@lucaspericoburigo
2 weeks ago
Same as me!! Have an Ipad 5th gen and just updated to IOS 13. Man... that iOS is going to be great. Going to buy GTA SA now!
@kanni staff
2 weeks ago
How is the beta running for you? I've heard it's pretty buggy still!?
@lucaspericoburigo
2 weeks ago
So far so good. Just some apps aren't running and some are running with some problems (like madden, the audio is not working).

The desk is okay, just a bit laggy when we activate that new thing (I thinks its called home) and swipe to another pages. But overall its okay so far.
@kanni staff
2 weeks ago
Haha, welcome and enjoy the ride.

@tbhprotectnserve13
last month
Its crazy that they are finally doing this! Its a good shock to the system. I wanted to get the steel series Nimbus Duo controller ( which is an XBOX Controller ) So now I can use it for my iPad! Fall CANT COME ANY SOONER!!! (/O.O)/
@kanni staff
last month
HYPE

I was reading up on the nimbus duo earlier and was disappointed that it didnt have mfi support. I’d be amazing if it indeed will work wirh iOS o_o
@tbhprotectnserve13
4 weeks ago
I felt the same way, going to get one in July, will let you all know if it works!
@kanni staff
4 weeks ago
nice! thanks man!

@kanni staff
last month
It's absolutely insane Apple is doing this. This will change A LOT for iOS game developers. Suddenly the number of people that own controllers has increased dramatically. I'm very looking forward the changes this will bring. YAY!

Impressum  &  Datenschutzerklärung